Bloating after eating. Need to regain form.

Hi Doctor,

My stomach is bloating now a days if i eat a little amount of food. Earlier i used to eat more and do exercise and i used to have a good physic. Also i had a flat belly. But now my belly is becoming shape out. I have stopped exercise 2 years back. BUt i had this problem from past 1 month. Please suggest me. I need to regain my form. I should have my previous apetite. Now, i'm ready to go for running in the morning
I also have the problem of Acne from past 6 Years. But now it is somewhat better now. I will get pimples if i have any oil food or sweets. This is the first time i'm suffering from this appetite and stomach bloating proble. I have used pantoprazole tablets twice a day and Diovol syrup thrice a day for 15 days and 1 Albendazole tablet
during this 2 months by a local doctor suggestion. But i don't feel any change. One thing i can say is i have done a lot of mistakes by skipping breakfast in the morning several days as i'm working as a software engineer i work in shifts and overeating during the night times. The local doctor after 15 days suggested the endoscopy. Please help me out. Is it required to take endoscopy test. what will be the cost and please provide me all details
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhika 22 minutes later

You reported that you are experiencing bloating in the abdomen from past 1 month, acne since 6 years and out of shape belly. Your diet comprises of oily and sweet food which is not a well balanced nutrition. Let me address your concerns independently.

Bloating of abdomen: There are a variety of things that can cause this bloated feeling. The commonest causes are indigestion, fatty diet, constipation, peptic ulcer and gall bladder / liver disease, anxiety, alcohol, smoking, trapped wind, food intolerance, insufficient hydrochloric acid, insufficient digestive enzymes, lack of good intestinal flora and dysmotility (a slow digestive system). It would be better if you could specify your bowel habits, personal habits and any other abdominal symptoms that you might have to narrow down the possibilities.
In the mean time, I also encourage you to consider visiting a gastroenterologist who after a careful evaluation can point out the right diagnosis. He or she might want to perform an endoscopy, urea breathe test, some blood tests like liver functions along with ultrasound scans.
Endoscopy may cost around 3-4 thousand INR at a major hospital or investigation centre.

Belly out of shape: Out of shape belly can be an indication of central obesity which by itself occurs due to inappropriate lifestyle.

The following life style changes might help you control both abdominal bloating and central obesity:
Control your food habits and eat slowly.
Not only does oily food cause pimples it causes a sensation of fullness even if you eat less and prevents digestion.
Limit wheat products, coffee, tea, spicy and oily food.
Minimize the use of antibiotics. Antibiotics destroy the harmless bacteria normally present in the digestive tract that usually help you digest food.
Limit sugar and salt. Excessive sugar and salt in the form of processed foods also causes stomach bloating.
Eat a healthy breakfast, moderate lunch and light dinner.
Regular exercises, due to inactivity too there will be indigestion.

In addition to these lifestyle changes, you may try taking proton pump inhibitors like Tablet Omez. Drink sufficient fluids, eat fresh fruits and vegetables, this will also help you clear acne.

Acne: Pimples is a chronic condition that is related to lifestyle, diet, hormones and other factors. If they are well controlled, I advise you not to try anything new.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.