Bloated stomach, not pregnant, no IBS. Suggestion?

I thought i might be pregnant however i got my periods and my stomach is exceptionally bloated (i have never experienced this before). It was just at night time but i am still extremely bloated on waking and it is swollen and uncomfortable - not IBS though - help?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The bloating of the stomach usually happens due to gas and indigestion problem.
Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.

1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.

2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.

3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to have gas.
If the problem is persistent then you need an evaluation at your primary physician's office to find out the cause. Meanwhile dietary modifications will be helpful in reducing the further bloating.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.