Bloated stomach. Ultrasound suggests fluid presence. What do you suggest?

Jan 2013

my stomach has been bloated for several weeks. I had an ultrasound. After the ultrasound, my GI thought there was fluid a second time in my stomach. I spent the whole morning today in the hospital with hypodermics, tests, more ultrasound. The hospital doctor said since there was only about 10 oz of fluid on my stomach that showed, it wasn't worth it to do the paracentisis. He believes there is something else wrong. Are there any suggestions as to what is causing my bloated stomach, since the rest of my body is very slim? Very little pain.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ excessive flatulence/ gargling sound in abdomen/ fever/ nausea or vomiting?
Are you getting burning sensation in upper abdomen and retrosternal in location?
Do you have difficulty in breathing/ decreased urine output, yellow discoloration of eyes and urine?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of decreased gastrointestinal motility.
This could be due to upper gastrointestinal pathology or due to hormonal disorder such hypothyroidism and uncontrolled diabetes.

As the symptoms are persisting since many weeks, there appears to be least correlation between 10 oz fluid and your present symptoms.
Still you should go for paracentesis, if possible.
Abdominal fluid could be due to liver or renal pathology, heart or lung disease or due to peritonitis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for ultrasound imaging, endoscopy and serum amylase and lipase, thyroid profile, blood sugar level, and x XXXXXXX abdomen (to rule out intestinal obstruction), renal and liver function test.

Meanwhile, you should take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics for relief of your symptoms.
You should avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, tea, coffee, chocolates and oily spicy foods.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava