Bloated feeling. Diagnosed with epigastric hernia. Scheduled to undergo surgery for repair. Any remedy for the bloated feeling?

Average

Gastroenterologist
Question
Diagnosed with an Epigastric Hernia and surgery for repair suggested. Feel Very, very bloated for past 2 weeks or so. can you suggest something? Thank you
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Though I do not know the exact details about your epigastric hernia like how big it is or for how long it has been there. But since surgical intervention has been advised, hence I presume that it must be causing symptoms and must be big.

One of the common symptom of epigastric hernia is bloating. Epigastric hernia usually can not be cured with medications. Its only treatment is surgery. So if you are troubled because of it, my advice will be that you get operated at the earliest.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Bloated feeling. Diagnosed with epigastric hernia. Scheduled to undergo surgery for repair. Any remedy for the bloated feeling? 10 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. If and when I go for repair Surgery, will this take away this very uncomfortable Bloating??XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 9 minutes later
Dear XXXXXX,

Though I can not be certain that your symptoms are solely because of epigastric hernia since I do not know if other causes of bloating have been ruled out. But I presume these have been ruled out.

Since bloating is a prominent symptom of a large epigastric hernia and I presume other causes have been ruled out, I think you should feel better after the surgery.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal