Bloated and loss of appetite, stomach fullness. Having barium enema. Stomach cancer? Other tests?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

I have been feeling bloated for a long time now and general loss of appetite. I seem to have some trouble voluntarily (swallowing motion, ie swallowing air) but have no trouble getting food down or loss of weight. My stomach always feel full. No pain in stomach and I had a fecial blood test months ago - and there was no blood. I do not generally see any blood in my stool but on the odd occation I think Ive very small amounts of blood on the toilet paper. also I do not feel nauseous ever. My mom has chrons disease.
I know these are symptoms of stomach cancer and Im really scared.

Tomorrow I am having a barium enema. My questions are as follows:

1. will the barium enema have any idea if I have stomach cancer? Can the doctor tell at all? I have to wait for another month before a barium meal xray
2. what other tests should I ask for? I am also scheduled to see an ear nose and throat specialist and also have a barium drink xrays - but both are not happenning for a few months and I am really scared and do not want to wait.
3. Do you think I have stomach or any other type or cancer
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Do you have any soft swellings around your anus ?

Any pain while passing stool ?

Any upper abdominal pain, nausea, heartburn ?

From your clinical history, it appears you may be suffering from possible Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) like Crohn's disease of Ulcerative colitis.

In IBD there will be abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea or constipation which can be associated with blood in stool.

Other possibility is Irritable bowel syndrome co-existing with hemorrhoids which can explain all symptoms.

Not to worry about Stomach cancer. Such patients tend to lose a lot of weight in a a short span of time, pass black stools instead of fresh bleeding from anus.

The barium meal ca wait. You can get the barium enema and also a colonoscopy to find the cause of your symptoms. IBD can be found out easily and biopsy can also be taken if required.

Eat a balanced diet. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do daily moderate exercise.

Avoid spicy food, gluten diet, milk and milk products, smoking, alcohol.

Kindly follow up with me on your reports and progress.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.