Bloated and burning pains in my stomach. Had loose bowels and diarrhea. What dose it indicate

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
A few days ago I ate a sandwich that sat in my stomach and didn't want to digest. I was in pain and didn't eat for over 24hrs. Since then I've had some burning pains in my stomach. Tonight during dinner my stomach burned as I ate salad that had an acidic dressing. As I lie here typing this my stomach is bloated and burning. I also have had loose bowels and diarrhea for days.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 29 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

On the basis of your history it is likely that you have had a mild episode of food poisoning. accompanying the features of food poisoning are the features of reflux.

You can take proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) which I think you must be taking for the reflux.
I would suggest you to go for a stool culture since the diarrhea is persisting for couple of days.
If there is specific growth of certain organism, specific antibiotics can be given.

Till then avoid foods that are increasing acidity and reflux.
Take light and bland food. Do take plenty of fluids as you are loosing fluids and electrolytes in diarrhea.

If you have more queries, i will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Bloated and burning pains in my stomach. Had loose bowels and diarrhea. What dose it indicate 26 minutes later
When I lie on my side my stomach seems to be burning in one spot. Could I have an ulcer, or worse, stomach cancer?

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 5 minutes later
Hello and welcome again,

This history is more suggestive of a gastric ulcer. Cancer is associated with constitutional symptoms like weight loss, decreased appetite, weakness, etc.

An upper gastrointestinal tract endoscopy is suggested.
Any ulcer if present will be visualized and biopsy will be taken.
The biopsy report will reveal changes going on in the ulcer.
Very effective treatment is available for ulcers- for their healing and prevention.
You can get them prescribed once ulcer is diagnosed.

So, visit a gastroenterologist for further work up.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Bloated and burning pains in my stomach. Had loose bowels and diarrhea. What dose it indicate 20 hours later
Thank you for your advice. I spoke to a doctor to day who recommended the same plan. I have such anxiety about having cancer that I can't sleep. I've been crying all day. My appetite has been less than normal because of the burning pain, but I did eat three decent meals. I also notice my stool had some black spots on them, but were otherwise normal and brown. The pain also subsided when I eat bland foods, and when I took acid relief medications. My doctor thinks I either have gastroentiritis or an ulcer. I've had abnormal bowel movements off and on for years. I had always attributed this to drinking alcohol or eating certain foods. I'm praying I don't have cancer. I'm making an appointment to see a GI doctor in the morning.

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

Don't worry, relax.
Gastric ulcers are associated with pain. Food causes pain so the person avoids food and it gives impression that appetite is decreased.
Black spots in stools are occurring due to presence of altered blood in stool.
Ulcers usually bleed and there is altered blood in stools.

Consult your GI (GastroIntestinal) specialist for further work up.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal