Blisters on the back, symptoms of shingles, fever, spreading to eye. Taken L-Lysine. Treatment?

I am 55 years old, truck driver, female, good health except for the symptoms of shingles for the last 30 years. I have had a spot on my low back at my spine that erupts more than any other place, but have had other places over the years. The places appear when I am stressed. They come out as a cluster of blisters that feel like there is a fever in them. When it is full blown I also ache in my bones as if I have a flu and and it seems to be spreading into my left eye ( get a painful raised spot) and on my brain (itches and hurts like the others) Can shingles act this way? Very painful and starting to affect my vision. What can I do. The best way I have found to counteract the outbreaks so far is when I first feel the burning and itching I take L-Lysine and put vinegar on the places and this makes them go away the fastest. Anything else I can do?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Shingles is caused by a viral infection and can affect eye and brain causing pain and lesions around the eye affecting the vision. Sometimes the pain persists even after the lesions have disappeared due to post herpetic neuralgia.
Bone pains and body ache is also common. The best way to deal with them is to start an antiviral treatment when the first lesion is seen. The drugs used include acyclovir or valacyclovir. This helps in early remission of the lesions. You can get these prescribed from your physician.
Sometimes steroids are also given to reduce the pain and swelling. You can start with tablet Ibuprofen ( Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner till the pain persists.
Applying a medicated anti-itch lotion (two brand names: Benadryl, Caladryl) to the blisters might reduce the pain and itching. Placing cool compresses soaked in water mixed with white vinegar on the blisters and sores might also ease pain and itching.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.