Blisters on penis burst after using veet to remove public hair. Any advice?

I recently used veet to remove my body hair including my pubic hair - which I've done many times, however this time I must have got the hair remover on the head of my penis which has blistered - the blisters have burst and now I have sores on about 3/4 of the head of my penis which are bleeding - what should I do?? I've been using nappy rash cream which sort of helps but it's been a week and it doesn't seem to be getting any better - the sores are weeping - I'm keeping it clean but I think I may be doing it all wrong - any advice????
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Few home remedies; if no relief visit doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

Veet hair removal cream has various chemicals that have caused the reaction on the sensitive skin of the penis. The blisters once erupted, expose the underlying layers which can result in infections.

In my opinion, the best advice would be to visit a doctor and seek treatment. But, simple blisters usually subside with time. In the meantime:
-keep the area clean and dry
-avoid wearing undergarments
-if you have to wear undergarments, make sure they are cotton and are loose
-wear loose clothing (to avoid friction)
-use a vitamin E containing oil, which promotes healing of blisters
-take a bath containing plain salt
-drink plenty of fluids
-apply petroleum jelly on the blisters
-apply an ice pack, without the contact of ice directly on the skin

I hope this information helps you sir. You can try the above mentioned advice for a few days, and if you do not experience an improvement within 5-7 days, then please visit your doctor. Who will prescribe help based on the condition and severity of the blisters.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Blisters on penis burst after using veet to remove public hair. Any advice? 1 hour later
Hi. Many thanks for your advice. I will start doing as you suggest but will also seek medical attention from my clinic. I thought that I am maybe going about this the wrong way. I've been keeping it "protected" by wearing shorts. I've a foreskin so ive been keeping that pulled forward which has kept it protected but i guess that i should not do this - this is why its weeping so much? I'll let the air get to it and clean it with salt water and apply antiseptic cream sparingly - I will however make an apointment with my clinician ASAP

Many thanks for your help and advice

Best wishes

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, do keep it dry and avoid contact

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX.

Yes, the ideal thing would be to let the air get to it, and avoid contact with the penis as much as possible. Which is why you will also have to either avoid undergarments, or wear loose comfortable cotton ones.

Please do visit your doctor, but I am sure, once you follow my suggestions, the blisters will start healing either way. Do take care of yourself and feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a beautiful and healthy life thereafter.

God bless.