Blisters on foreskin after having unprotected sex. Treatment?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have 6 or 7 small blisters on my foreskin, on the outside, they are about 1 or 2mm in diameter and the same high. They appeared 2 days ago about a week after having unprotected sex.They are together in a cluster in an area about 10mm x 10mm.If I have herpes(which I believe is not cureable) what do I need to do regarding treatment.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Your symptoms are most likely resembling herpes but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't consult your doctor.

Herpes is a viral infection and though known to be incurable and recurrent, early treatment with antiviral drugs like acyclovir can decrease the viral load, cause early remission and prevent frequent recurrence. The earlier the treatment started the better, and if this is your first or primary infection it is all the more important to get it treated.

Just local acyclovir ointment may decrease the lesions but oral medications might or might not be required as per your doctor’s decision after thorough clinical evaluation.

Please note that the treatment should be prescribed by doctor after physical examination of lesions and self medication is not advisable and not ethical.

Follow-up: Blisters on foreskin after having unprotected sex. Treatment? 5 hours later
Have seen a docter and he seems to think it is definitely herpes but he seems to think that this may not be the primary infection due to the fact that I have no other symptoms such as fever, aches and pain or feeling sick. Would you aggree with this??
What are the chances of this healing and not having another outbreak??
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 38 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

I dont think it is necessary that primary infection must have associated symptoms though it most commonly does present like that.

I would still say it's likely to resolve with treatment and no one can predict a future recurrence.

Stress and lowered immunity can precipitate a recurrence in future but not necessarily always.
It's also likely to be less severe than the present condition.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.