Blisters and swelling near wound, sore throat, pain, dizziness. Prescribed Clavam. Right medication for herpes?

Jan 2013

Hi, I had an abrasion due to a bike accident on my hand 15 days back. I have taken medications and applied a cream(Nadoxin) on the wound. The wound has not healed completely yet. Now, as a secondary infection, I have noticed some blisters and swelling around my wound which my doctor says is Herpes. He has precribed clavam xr, hifenac p, rabee isr, vertin od and velgut tablets for me(I have sore throat, pain and dizziness as well) and told me not to use any cream or ointment. Am I taking the right medications for "Herpes"? How serious is the problem? What are its implications?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Exact diagnosis can be made only by visualization of the picture of the affected skin part. If possible, kindly send the picture.
Considering your treatment, you have not been prescribed any medication for herpes.
For herpes, antiviral aciclovir/ famciclovir tablets and aciclovir ointment are generally prescribed.
Considering your past history of road traffic injury, there may be some folliculitis.
Herpes lesions are very painful and pain start before the appearance of blisters.
As such herpes skin lesions are not a serious issue but as these are painful, treatment is essential.
Herpetic lesions are self resolving and may resolve faster after treatment.
You should also consult with dermatologist and should take proper treatment.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Blisters and swelling near wound, sore throat, pain, dizziness. Prescribed Clavam. Right medication for herpes? 49 minutes later

I have uploaded a photograph of my hand.
The blisters are visible towards the left (in the photograph, my ankle is in the right corner)

There is one thing which I forgot to tell you (and which I told the doctor I visited).
I had one of these blisters 2-3 days back and it healed on its own.

After examining the photograph, do you think it is herpes or folliculitis?
And regarding the pain, the blisters pain when they are touched upon.
Otherwise, I just have a mild burning sensation in my hand around the blisters, nothing else.

In case this is Herpes, and is self-healing, then will the disease causing virus be completely eliminated from my body after the blisters heal up?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 10 minutes later
Picture is not clear but it appears to be herpes.
Herpes is a virus illness and most of the times it is self remitting and recovery is fast after antiviral medications.
Herpes virus resides in nerve ganglion in dormant phase and gets activated after decreased immunity, fever, menses, sun exposure.
You should also consult with dermatologist.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Blisters and swelling near wound, sore throat, pain, dizziness. Prescribed Clavam. Right medication for herpes? 19 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, I will consult with a Dermatologist as well. Please answer the rest of my questions as well.

So, does that mean I already had Herpes (and will have it lifelong) and it just got activated now (I am asking this because this is my first instance of "herpes" breakout)?

Is there anything to worry about Herpes? I am asking this because while searching on the internet, I found Herpes as a sexually transmitted disease (I am single and not active sexually). Do I need to take any precautions in my future sexual life or otherwise?

Is there any harm in washing the affected area with soap (Dove) while taking a bath?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 hours later
Yes...herpes simplex virus resides in nerve ganglion for life long but gets activated in above mentioned condition.
There are 2 type of herpes: Herpes simplex type 1 & 2 and Herpes Zoster.
Herpes simplex are STD's and transmitted by sex and lip kiss.
You are most likely suffering from Herpes Zoster and is a squeal of varicella zoster infection (generally in chilhood).
Dr. Mayank Bhargava