Blister on left lip, swollen glands in neck, hot pin pricks on face, swollen lips

Hi, I went to bed the day before yesterday with a blister on the left
side of my lip, which tingled (definitely not on edge). Woke up with
swollen glands in my neck on the left side only. Then later on started
to feel tingly feeling, or hot pin pricks on the left side of my face
which keep coming and going. Woke up this morning with very swollen
lip where blister is. What is this?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later

Thank you for the query,

I need to know few things here before I am clear about the possibility.
1) Is it a water filled blister or a pus filled lesion.
2) Is it associated with fever.
3) Do you have multiple such lesions or just a single lesion.
4) is this the first time you have got this.

I have two possibility in mind right now one is Folliculitis (Boil) and secondly Herpes labialis.Above points would help me reach a diagnosis. Both should be treated as soon as possible.

You can also consider sending me a picture of the lesion if possible which would help me further.You can send at YYYY@YYYY address the subject as "ATTN Dr.Bharat Chawda" and also reply to my original answer on the website so that I am notified.

Hope to receive a reply from you so that treatment can be started soon.

Follow-up: Blister on left lip, swollen glands in neck, hot pin pricks on face, swollen lips 1 hour later
1) pus filled I believe - there is a yellowish round scab on it.
2) no
3) single
4) yes first time

I will send a picture to the specified e-mail address too.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later

With this history it seems to be a Boil.Boils do pain and can cause swelling of the lymph node of neck( as in your case). They are pus (yellowish fluid) filled and usually single.It can also cause swelling of lips surrounding the area.

You require a course of oral antibiotic (preferably macrolides) along with a topical cream like mupirocin to be applied over it. Lip area near the nose is considered as XXXXXXX area of the face and should be treated promptly.

Just for the information sake I would like to tell that in Herpes infection one gets multiple grouped water filled blisters near lips .They are associated with pain, tingling sensation and fever.Also one may get recurrent such episodes in a year.

I would advise you to consult a dermatologist soon and start a proper treatment.

“ Wish you Good Health”