Blister on cheek, hard and swollen lump on ear. Had sunburn on face. Related?

Cardiologist
Question
Helo. I am 50 yr old female. Got a bad suburn on my face. Most has cleared up after 7 days but I have a huge blister on my left cheek and this morning I woke up with a hard swoolen lump in front of my left ear. Same side as the sunburn blisters. Are these related? Should I go to emergency room while I am currently on vacation in Hawaii?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your mail with diligence.
You are describing a blister following a sun burn which in turn was followed by swollen lump in front of left ear...the same side you had blister on. Is it painful, red and exudes warmth or are you febrile. If the answer to any of the question is yes. Please go to emergency for infection in that area falls within danger area of face which may have dreadful consequences if not treated early. Otherwise also, you are not going to take chance and show to your doctor in the coming day anyway.
Everything will turn out well once the etiology is established and treatment started so why delay. To answer are these related the answer is yes, it would be too much of coincidence if these are not related. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Blister on cheek, hard and swollen lump on ear. Had sunburn on face. Related? 3 hours later
Thank you for your quick response. It is not too red and I do not have a fever. I think my sunburn was really bad, perhaps bad enough to be considered sun poisioning but the swollen node near my left ear, on te same side as the swollen blister had me concerned. I am on vacation in Hawaii so I wasn't sure if was worth a trip to an emergency room. I will reassess in the morning and if it has gotten worse, then I will go to the nearest emergency room. I'm just not sure why my lymph node is now swoolen. Wasn't sure if the node and sunburn blister could be related so I wrote this online service.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 32 minutes later
We thought only way they could be related is if the blister got infected and the draining Lymph Node got swollen. Your last mail seem to discount that possibility. OTC drug Calamine lotion will be of help in soothing and of course sun screen creatm would hep you protect from sun poisoning. Enjoy your vacations. With the proivion, that signs of infection to which add pain as described in my first response should make you take detour to emergency room (it is not bad idea to find out where is the nearest one located). Have a nice vacation,
Thanks again for choosing our online medical help service. You can contact our local representative there also by browsing home website:
WWW.WWWW.WW
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW