Bleeding while passing stools, lactose intolerance, anti-inflammatory medication

babies bum bleeding while passing stools
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 29 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

I would like to know some details to answer you better:

1)Is the baby having loose motions?What is the frequency of stools?

2)Since how long is he passing blood?

3)Is the bleeding accompanied with stool or it is only outside the bum?

4)Does he have any other symptom like vomiting,pain,fever etc?

5)Is he on Formula feed?

6)Is he feeding properly?

If any other details do let me know.

Anticipating your reply,I will get back to you soon.
Follow-up: Bleeding while passing stools, lactose intolerance, anti-inflammatory medication 53 minutes later
baby is formula fed but only has 2 bottles a day. his motions are soft as hes been on lactoluse for 2 weeks, he has a good appitite and eats plenty but only passes stools every 3 days, no vomiting pain or fever..he does get thrush in his mouth all the time though...the blood tends to run out of the inside of his bum at the end of passing the stool
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 7 hours later

Thanks for the reply

Some formula fed babies tend to develop Secondary Lactose intolerance which causes changes in the acid balance of the stool leading to rash and blood at the end of stool.This intolerance occurs either after stomach upset episode or just allergy after switching from breastfeeding to formula milk.It seems he is having this intolerance as there is no vomitting,pain and his appetite also seems to be normal so chances of infection are ruled out.
Some suggestions:
Avoid the formula feed for 2 to 3 days and then observe for any changes.
Give him other food items which he is fond of eating.
As the bowel movements will change the rash and blood will be controlled.You can apply any antiinflammatory topical medication on it.

If even after changing the feed there is no improvement then consider visiting your Primary Physician for examination of abdomen and also might require Stool examination to rule out the exact cause.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.