Bleeding when wiping. No pain. Irregular menstrual cycle. Why do I have the vaginal bleeding?

I am a female, and I've had bleeding show up when wiping, but not enough to wear a pad. No pain, and I have very irregular menstrual cycles and have my whole life. This has been going on for about two weeks now. It's not rectal bleeding,but vaginal.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 21 minutes later

Irregular periods in females can be due to many reasons and the commonest seen are hormonal imbalance and PCOD (polycystic ovaries disease).

To understand your problem better please write down answers to few questions:-

-When was your last menstrual period?
-Since when you are getting this bleeding now?
-Are you on any medicines for regularizing your period or any other medical issue?
-Do you have any history of hormonal imbalance or PCOD for which you have been taking treatment?

Kindly write back with the answers and I shall be able to help you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Bleeding when wiping. No pain. Irregular menstrual cycle. Why do I have the vaginal bleeding? 3 hours later
My last period was late January.

I have been bleeding for probably 2 weeks now, however it's not enough to even make markings on a pad.

No medications, however I used to use Birth Control in my teens into my very early twenties. It did help with regulating my cycle.

The only history I've ever had with anything like this would be my irregular periods, but never anything too serious.

Hoping for some help, thanks!
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later

The first thing I would suggest is, if you are sexually active, get a urine pregnancy test done to rule out pregnancy.

It the test is negative then the other causes need to be ruled out like:-

1-Uterine fibroids,
2-Cervical or uterine polyps,
3-Hormonal imbalance,
4-Inflammation or infection of the cervix,
5-Injury of the vaginal opening caused by intercourse, infection,

Please consult a Gynaecologist and get examined. She may advise you investigations like ultrasound of pelvis, blood tests to assess hormonal levels, and thyroid function.

After proper diagnosis of your problem she will advise you the necessary treatment.

Hope this answer is helpful to you. Please accept this answer and close this query if you have no further questions.