Ask a Dentist   »  

Bleeding sores and white patches in the mouth

I have from time to time had a roughness on the inside of my cheek kind of swollen so I bite it alot by mistake. It has lasted a lot longer this time along with little areas of sores and my mouth is more sensitive than ever I will be eating hardly touch the insides of my mouth like if I am eating chips, with and they bleed a bit then go away and I notice them again in a day or so. They keep coming and going away. Whit patches coming and going as well.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I would like to know if you have rashes or red bumps on your skin anywhere else on your body.

Your history points most probably to a condition called Lichen Planus which is a inflammatory condition that can affect your skin and mucous membranes. If oral mucosa is affected it could cause white lacy patches or sores that could be painful.

Kindly don't get alarmed as you seem to be having a milder form which may need relatively simple at-home care or no treatment at all. But I would recommend you to get yourself examined by a proficient Dermatologist so that he/she can do a comprehensive and detailed physical assessment to rule out other ailments with analogous symptoms.

Based on the information provided by you and the clinical findings your doctor will decide upon the investigations you need, to come to a final diagnosis. These may include,

* Punch Biopsy
* Hepatitis C test to deteremine if you have hepatitis C, which a potential trigger for lichen planus.
* Allergy tests

Depending upon the cause your treatment will be formulated. Avoid hot and spicy foods which may aggravate your Symptoms.

You can follow these at-home self care measures for symptomatic relief:

- Rinse your mouth with salt water.
- You can cover up sores with a paste made of baking soda.
- Apply ice chips or allow them to slowly dissolve over the sores.
- Use a soft toothbrush and brush your teeth gently.
- Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
- I would like you to look out for worsening of symptoms or sores changing in size and shape.

Hope I have answered your query, Please accept my answer in case if you have no follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.