Bleeding profusely from vaginal area and passes out. Taken to hospital. How long does it take for her to recover and come back home?

We're doing research for a story. Here's the scenario. A 15 year old girl wakes up to discover that she's bleeding profusely from her vaginal area and passes out. She's taken to the ER. The doctor informs her father that the cause of the bleeding was XXXXXXX and suspects...
-Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
-Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
Our question is, would the hospital keep her over night to run tests, and if so, how long would it be to get the results back? A few hours? A few days? Would they do the tests then release her if the bleeding has stopped and she's feeling better? And how would she be notified of the results if sent home?

Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us with your problem.
Since the girl has passed out due to the bleeding, she should be kept overnight in the hospital for monitoring. Routine investigations are done immediately to rule out any serious causes and the results are informed. She should be sent home if the results come normal and the bleeding stops. She may have to go again for further investigations like ultrasound scan and the hormonal tests.
In case the episodes are recurrent then she may be advised to consult her gynecologist for further investigations.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Bleeding profusely from vaginal area and passes out. Taken to hospital. How long does it take for her to recover and come back home? 11 minutes later
Great answer, thank you! How long would it take to get the test results back if they kept her over night?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It may take upto 48 hours to get all the test results.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.