Bleeding in mucus while clearing throat, no infection, no cough, vitamin and nutritional deficiencies

Question
Is it normal to find a small amount of blood in my mucus? I was clearing my throat this morning and found a small amount of blood in my mucus. I don't have any infection and no coughing at all. I see this once in a while. Usually only one time and I don't see it again. Please let me know if this is normal. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query,

Yes, blood spots in the mucous while cleaning is a expected and normal event some times.

This could be happening due to tears/cuts in the fragile mucous membrane while cleaning or even when the integrity of the mucous membrane is poor.The poor integrity of the mucous membrane is commonly due to deficiency of vitamins like Vit C and Vit A.

I would suggest you to consume foods containing the same like Citrus foods, papaya, carrot,fish, Spinach , cabbage, cauliflower etc.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Bleeding in mucus while clearing throat, no infection, no cough, vitamin and nutritional deficiencies 3 hours later
I wasn't trying too hard to clear my throat. It was just a random spit and I saw some blood on my mucus. Can this be related to what you mentioned?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Hi again,

No , there is no relation.What i mentioned earlier in my mail is that due to nutritional deficiency the skin becomes soft and prone to cuts easily.

Wish you Good health.

Follow-up: Bleeding in mucus while clearing throat, no infection, no cough, vitamin and nutritional deficiencies 232 days later
I woke up this morning to find a small amount of blood in my saliva while clearing my throat again. I experience this once a while usually in the morning. However, I don't have any symptoms. Can this be anything serious even if it occurs once a while with no symptoms? I had a blood test done 3 weeks ago and the results were normal. Please advised.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 21 hours later

Thanks for writing back

No , it is not serious .As I mentioned in my earlier posts it could be due to deficiency of vitamin C which is required to maintain the integrity of the mucous membranes.Most of times such episodes occur in early mornings due to congestion because of over night inactivity.
Do take Vitamin C supplements, you can ask your treating doctor for the dosage and prescription.Taking Vit C will surely help you get rid of this problem.

Wish you good health