Bleeding in brain above right ear. How long will it take to recover?

My mom who is 87 yrs. old suffered a brain bleed approx. 3.2 cm above her right ear in the temporal region 2.5 weeks ago. We see improvements and she looks good. She has confusion about some things. How do we know if it is mild or moderate confusion? I read that a stroke recovery can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months and longer with full recovery not possible for some. Mom wasn't perfect before her stroke (i.e. age related memory problems with some aphasia.) Can she go back home? I'm looking for hope.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Under proper care, it is possible. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, You are right it might take quite sometime for patients to recover from stroke, and the different times generally do vary. This depends on individuals and the rapidity of institution of the appropriate treatment. Considering the fact that she had problems before, I am afraid the results on treatment might take longer and risk not to be very spectacular. If she reacts to Digoxin as cited, it might be necessary to reduce the dosage or associate a different drug such as Aldasterone. Drugs like cytoprotectors (somazina) improve outcomes in some patients. Gamalate B6 helps in improving memory in some patients. It is however very important to manage the risk factors appropriately (proper blood pressure control, low dose Aspirin,low salt diet, low saturated fats and treatment of lipid disorders). Physiotherapy and mobilization of the patient remain very key aspects of the management. I such you book an appointment with a physiotherapist for his opinion and management plan. It is a bit difficult to actually predict the outcome. However, considering the past medical history, the improvement risks not being very spectacular as could be seen in a much younger patient with no past history of neurological disease. A proper care and appropriate physiotherapy, everything being equal, in my opinion could permit her to go home. the situation, as you describe, is not as bad as not to permit her to go home. I think with proper care she could be able to go home. Regular and stringent follow up from his neurologist is however very very important. Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case you have nay specific concerns. I would be glad to make my contributions towards her well being. Kind regards. DR Bain