Ask a Dentist   »  

Bleeding gums after childbirth. Using sensitive toothpaste and toothbrush

Question
Hi Healthcare,

I want some information from a dentist.
I have 11 months old baby now , before she was born my gums used to never bleed.
From the time i was carrying and till now my gums have started bleeding .
I am using that sensitive tooth paste and tooth brush but still some times it bleeds
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query in XXXXXXX forum.

As per the details you have produced, the bleeding gums while carrying and after delivery is due to-

Hormonal changes in the body during pregnancy.

Deposition of dental plaque is responsible for this pregnancy gingivitis.
The increased hormonal levels of progesterone and estrogen induce changes in the vascular permeability leading to gingival edema and an increased inflammatory response to dental plaque.

In severe cases, the gingivitis aggravates even after delivery, as in your case.

Get deep subgingival scaling and root planning done by a dentist to remove the plaque accumulated.
In severe cases, gingivoplasty and gingivectomy has to be done.
I would suggest you to maintain good oral hygiene.
Brush your teeth twice daily using soft-interdental toothbrush in back-forth and up-down motion.

Rinse your mouth after every meal.
Antibiotics has to be administered after getting your scaling done to make your gums intact and firm, as per dentist's prescription.

Bleeding will stop once the gums shrink.

I will be happy to help you if you have any other concerns.
Wish you and your baby good health.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Bleeding gums after childbirth. Using sensitive toothpaste and toothbrush 51 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for the response can you elaborat emore regarding deep subgingival scaling and root planning is it recommended , as i have heard , if i get it done are there any future problems like my tooth may get losen and fall in future like that.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 7 minutes later

Thanks for your feedback.

Deep sub gingival scaling and root planning is done to remove the sub gingival plaque and calculus deposits underlying the gums.

Once the scaling has completed, the teeth seems to be loose.
This is due to the free space created in between the gums as the calculus and plaque has removed.
Usually the gums heal within 1-2 weeks after scaling.
Once the gums become intact and shrink, teeth will be firm as usual.
Hope this clarifies.