Bleeding from vagina. Hysterectomy done. What could this be due to?

I am 63 yaers old and today I saw blood on my panties, I have had a hysterectomy 12 years ago,I haven't had sex in 10 years. the blood is coming from my upper vagina.What could it mean? It is coming from my clitoris>
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for this bleeding from the clitoris and at your age, with your history of hysterectomy, it is important to rule out any atrophic vaginitis which is an inflammation of the vagina (and the outer urinary tract) due to the thinning and shrinking of the tissues which occurs due to decreased estrogen in post menopausal women.

Atrophic vaginitis is a cause of Postmenopausal bleeding (PMB) and sores and cracks may be present on clitoris or vagina which may bleed. In your case, this may be likely cause.

Don’t worry as vaginally administered estrogens as vaginal tablets or creams are helpful and you can get them prescribed from your gynecologist. Application of water soluble lubricants like KY jelly is also useful. You can apply it as it is helpful in mild cases.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.