Ask a Urologist   »  

Bleeding from penis, no blood in urine, CT scan normal, used to masturbate, no blood in semen

Urologist
Question
My son is 19 years old. He has had bleeding from his penis off and on since he was fourteen. Sometimes he has blood spots in his underwear. There is no blood in his urine. The blood usually comes after urinating. He has had a CT Scan, many urinalysis, a cystoscopy, and rectal exam....all were negative....nothing seen on CT Scan, no blood in urine, nothing seen with cystoscopy. He is bleeding again...went to ER....nothing as usual but given shot of antibiotics and some to take....just in case??? He just finished last pill....still spotting. Before going to ER he showed me bright red blood smeared on toilet seat that had dripped out after urinating as he sat reading on toilet. One more thing.....he used to masturbate often, which was what the first dr. thought it was at 14, and he only drank sodas and no water up until about a year ago. He just became sexually active in February 2011 at age of 18...he said there is never blood in semen. This comes and goes but seems to be staying longer this time.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later
Hello.

I understand your concern. Things that come to my mind now after going through your description are,

1. Frenular tear- tear of the place where the penile skin joins the inner part during retraction of the skin. sex or masturbation with force can cause this problem.
2. Hemagioma of the glans- a bulbous swelling of the glans penis (the initial one inch of penis). This is a rare condition, but I have seen a few cases and can cause bleeding.
3. Last but not the least, it may not be urethral bleed. It can be a bleed from the motion passage especially as it has caused bright red blood smeared on the toilet seat- typical of piles or fissure.

Hence I suggest the following.

1. Kindly take a second opinion for a Urologist.
2. kindly see a general surgeon to look for piles/ fissure (to do Proctoscopy).

Hope this answer will solve your son's problem. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Bleeding from penis, no blood in urine, CT scan normal, used to masturbate, no blood in semen 3 hours later
Thank you so far for that information. I had read about a "frenular tear" on the internet while trying to figure this out....can you have that if you are circumcised? Most things I read said it was in uncircumcised males. Also, the blood on the toilet seat was in the front part of the seat where his penis was resting, not the back...would you still suggest proctoscopy? Can a problem in the rectum cause bleeding from the penis?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 18 hours later
Thanks for reverting!

A frenular tear usually happens in uncircumcised but can happen in circumcised males also.

A problem in the rectum is extremely unlikely to cause bleeding from the penis.

I suggest the following
•     Take a second opinion from a XXXXXXX urologist in this regard.
•     Get bleeding and clotting tests done as bleeding from any site can occur if there is a bleeding/clotting disorder.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr G Srinivasan