Ask a Urologist   »  

Bleeding from penis, may be due to passing of kidney stones. Want to stop bleeding

I have bleeding from my penis. The bleed doesnt stop even after applying pressure. I believe its a tear but my physician thinks it might be because of passing of kidney stones. The doctor hasnt even examined the bleed source. I need the bleed to stop at the earliest.
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 40 minutes later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Bleeding from the skin usually stops with compression, whereas from the urine passage does not.
It either stops on its own and may or may not recur.
I need to know if the blood comes alone or mixed with urine.
The evaluation includes physical examination, urine analysis, culture and ultraound scan to look for the source.
Kindly contact your physician( idealy urologist) for the same. Once u have the report, u can upload the images.

Hope this helps, take care.
Follow-up: Bleeding from penis, may be due to passing of kidney stones. Want to stop bleeding 2 hours later
The urine comes alone, there is no trace of blood.

The doctor has also seen the urine and said it looks fine.

This happened while i was taking bath and cleaning my genitals. During this time i think i may have torn the frenulum.

The Bleeding has stopped upon applying pressure. But the bleeding resumes when the foreskin is pulled back or when there is an erection. The source of the bleed is where the foreskin and the penis head XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later

Thanks for your reply.
If compression does not stop bleeding and recurs on provocation, then most probably circumcision is necessary.

Take care,