Bleeding from nose while playing. Should I go for medical treatment?

My kid was playing, it happened something while playing and getting blood from his noise. please suggest us the first aid
Now, his nose is not bleeding now. should we visit the Doctor.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later

Bleeding from the nausea is called epistaxis. In children nasal drying is a common cause of nose bleeds. Nasal drying is common in the winter during cold dry weather and in the summer with air-conditioning. If due to nasal drying, nose bleeds can sometimes be prevented by placing KY Jelly in the nose or by using a humidifier in the house.

Other causes are picking of nose, blowing it too hard,trauma to nose while playing,allergies and sometimes bleeding disorders.

When there is epistaxis,hold the nostrils with your fingers or a handkerchief
and pinch the lower, soft part of the nose between the thumb and forefinger.The grip should be firm and the pressure on the nose steady.

Hold it for exactly 10 minutes.Divert the child’s attention by talking or watching TV in the meanwhile. Holding the nose presses directly on the bleeding vein. This stops the bleeding and the blood will then coagulate or thicken into a scab.You can then apply Vaseline on the scab to soften it.

If there is severe bleeding then cautery may be needed from a pediatrician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing your son good health.