Bleeding from nose, headache, high blood pressure. Advice?

ENT Specialist
Hi. I have some small amount of fresh blood in my nose, slight headache, an elevated blood pressure. 56 years, good health, this condition for about a week
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Bleeding from the nose is quite common in those individuals who are suffering from hypertension (elevated blood pressure).

In the individuals suffering from long standing hypertension there will be multiple weak points developed in the blood vessels known as aneurysms. Nose is one of the organs in the body which is richly supplied with blood and also presence of multiple microscopic aneurysms.

Whenever the blood pressure shoots up, there is pressure built up central and the peripheral blood vessels. The increase in the pressure in turn will transmit the same on the aneurysms. Aneurysms succumb by stretching and ultimately the weakest of them burst open with the leak of blood. This is also one of the commonest causes of the bleeding in the elderly individuals.

I would suggest you to get the blood pressure controlled as well as consult a good ENT specialist for the visualization of the bleeding points and hence cauterizing the same. Till then, use saline nasal drops and drink plenty of water to keep the nasal mucosa moist. Avoid nose picking if any.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgery