Bleeding from gums and tongue, blood in stool. Possible causes?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I'm 32, male. Here is my story. I noticed that there was gum bleeding near one of my canines. After a few days i realised that the bleeding was widespread and that my gums would bleed if pressed a little even on the front. I went to the dentist, he cleaned them and gave me PERIO-AID mouth wash (0.12% chlorhexidine digluconate) and special toothpaste. He also told me that my 4 wisdom teeth were coming out. It seems to have stopped the bleeding but now i seem to have bleeding from the tongue - it appears dark on the back (a bit like Black hairy tongue WWW.WWWW.WW but when I suck and spit there is some blood.
Sometimes when my stool is really hard there is a little red blood when i wipe - not much but this has been going for months on and off - it is just say 1 every 15 stools. My feet were also feeling a bit heavy at night a couple of weeks ago but this passed. All this is increasingly making me more tense - at first I thought that the wisdom teeth are responsible for the bleeding but the bleeding tongue!? I know you are probably going to tell me to have blood tests and I'm going to do that but i need to know the possible causes.

Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Bleeding from multiple sites is more likely to be from a generalised bleeding disorder which could result from:
•     Thrombocytopenia or decreased platelets (autoimmune in most cases)
•     A functional disorder of platelets
•     Coagulation disorders which could arise from
o     Vitamin K deficiency
o     Liver disorders
o     Renal disorders
In your case, as there is no prior history, an autoimmune disorder or platelet deficiency can be likely causes.
A localised cause like wisdom tooth eruption will not cause bleeding from tongue and in stools.
As you are aware, you would need baseline investigations like
•     Complete blood counts with peripheral smear
•     Coagulation profile (APTT, PT)
•     Liver function tests
Alternatively, a better option is to consult a haematologist or a physician who can evaluate you completely before recommending certain tests.
Hope I have answered your query.