Ask a Dentist   »  

Bleeding from front teeth to the roof of the mouth, Why does it happen frequently?

I have bleeding coming from between my top four front teeth and the gums on the roof of my mouth . This happens once or twice a week .
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 34 minutes later

Commonly bleeding from gums is caused by two causes which include:
1)     Vitamin C deficiency
2)     Gingivitis

First of all, take more of foods XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits and juices, guava, papaya, bell peppers, kiwifruit, etc. It might also benefit you to use chewable vitamin C supplements like Tab. Limcee which are available over the counter.

If the symptoms persist then other causes need to be ruled out, first of which is gingivitis. Gingivitis may even cause bleeding gums on touch.

Other reasons for causing gum bleeding are impairment in the clotting mechanism-- either unintentional (due to disease) or intentional (administration of blood-thinning drugs) which you may have been prescribed given your history of heart attack. Please check them out with your doctor.

A dentist would be the ideal person to treat you. I encourage you to XXXXXXX a competent dentist, if the symptoms do not improve with vitamin C supplement.

In addition, Oral hygiene is of great importance in treating and preventing periodontal disease and you should brush twice daily and floss your teeth. Also try restricting sugar as it is known to significantly increase plaque accumulation by feeding the bacteria that cause the infection while decreasing white blood cell function. Fresh fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, and fiber should be taken and take plenty of sardines, canned salmon, dark XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (spinach, collards, XXXXXXX turnip greens, mustard mustard greens) broccoli, brazil nuts, tofu and all soy products, sunflower seeds.

Also take calcium supplements in diet and change your toothpaste brand and avoid using mouthwashes if your swollen gums are caused by sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wish you good health.