Bleeding from cervix. What could be the cause?

General Surgeon
I have very normal easy periods. I spot for a couple of days and then bleed a medium amount. Plenty of warning so I don't track it closely. Last Friday I went for my yearly and my cervix looked red and bled. She took the pap and a culture and ordered other tests. Last night I went to the bathroom, no blood, stood up and blood rushed down both legs onto the floor. It was normal blood, not like the blood during a period. I cleaned up and put in a tampon since I didn't have any regular pads. Took out the tampon this morning 6 hours later and there was not much blood. I have been up for an hour and a half without a tampon and I am not bleeding, again validating that I don't think it was menstral blood. Thoughts? I thought it was very scary. I have never had a rush of blood like that.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 4 hours later
The bleeding may be due to trauma to the cervix after Pap smear.
It may be due to inflammation and infection of the cervix.
As the amount has reduced,it is not a problem.
Please take Tranexamic acid tablets to control bleeding.
Take an Antibiotic Cefuroxime and anti inflammatory drug for a possible cervicitis.
Get an ultrasound abdomen to rule out any pelvic pathology.
If you come back with Pap smear and Ultrasound abdomen report,i can clarify further.
Waiting for your response
Wish you good health