Bleeding for four weeks. Stopped taking birth control midway through the pack. Ways to curb the bleeding ?

I stopped taking the pill midway thru a pack, since then I have been bleeding for 4 weeks, is this normal and how can I stop the bleeding?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 43 minutes later

I will try my best to provide you with the best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

As you have stopped taking pills midway, the spotting is due to hormonal imbalance. This is known as withdrawal bleeding.

Treatment depends on the amount on bleeding. If it is heavy for one month you have to consult OBG specialist for thorough examination, if it is just spotting it is withdrawal bleeding.

Treatment is to continue the pills from the beginning for a month, after that your periods will be normal.

I advice you to get your scan done to rule out any uterine pathology.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further queries.

Follow-up: Bleeding for four weeks. Stopped taking birth control midway through the pack. Ways to curb the bleeding ? 4 hours later
if i start to take the pill again from the start of the pack will this make the bleeding worse? ive kinda lost confidence in the contraceptive pill.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 12 hours later
Hello again,

Thank you for the follow up.

Starting the pills will not make the bleeding worse. You can safely continue the contraceptive pills.

But since you had bleeding for 4 weeks following stopping the pill, I advice you to seek advice from your treating gynecologist to find out the exact reason for such excessive bleeding.

The bleeding should stop within 4-5 days following stopping of the pill, since you stopped the pill in the mid cycle, it is possible that the abrupt stoppage of pills itself is the cause, but needs confirmation.

You can ask your doctor to prescribe you a combined pill or you can choose another type of contraception, may be an intra-uterine device or depot implants.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back to me if you have further queries.