Bleeding for 2 months, cramps. What is wrong?

Hi, I am 52 and I have been bleeding for 2 months. With full blown cramps .what is wrong with me? I am childless and have had heavy periods all my life.
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
The irregular and heavy bleeding that you are having can be due to uterine fibroids, polyps or hormonal disturbances commonly seen in perimenopausal age group. For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen and some blood tests.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), pregnancy (by βhCG), and androgen profile can be done.

To decrease the bleeding you need to have progesteone pills along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid after consulting with your gynaecologist.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.
Checking serum FSH levels will give you an idea regarding time to menopause.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.