Bleeding during intercourse. Pap smear, colposcopy and blood test normal. Underlying cause?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
I have been to 3 doctors regard bleeding during sex, a fair bit of bleeding that lasts for the next 24 to 48 hours. This has been happening for about 6 months now. I have had Pap smears, colposcopy, blood work and swabs and they say there is nothing wrong!! The doctors only suggestions have been to build up my iron as i am quite anemic. What can I do now? This is really upsetting me, it doesn't help my self confidence and in turn is hurting my relationship. I am otherwise healthy, i have a healthy life style, i am 1.68m tall and weigh a healthy 56kg. Also i have a very loving and gentle relationship with my husband of 16 years. Also there do not seem to be any signs of menopause. I don't want to be touched by any more doctors who can't suggest any answers. Please help!!
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 1 hour later

It is good that pap smear, colposcopy, blood tests are normal. This rules out cancer of the uterine cervix. In such cases the cause of post coital bleeding might be due to erosion (ectopy) - that is growth of columnar epithelium caudally over the ectocervix which gets injured and bleeds during sex. Such erosions are associated with hormonal changes. This can be easily treated by cryotherapy.

Other occasional causes of post coital bleeding are cervicitis ,vaginitis cervical polyp, etc., which should be treated accordingly.

A qualified gynecologist will know about these conditions and can be able to treat these conditions. You may discuss with your current treating doctor or request for a gynecologist appointment.

Hope you will get rid of the problem. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Good luck