Bleeding during 13 weeks of pregnancy. Prescribed Fertigyn. Chance of miscarriage?

Hi Doctor,

My wife is pregnant, she just completed her 13th week. My wife had traces of blood in her panty today morning. The blood was dry, so it would have happened some where in the night. The color of the blood is different from what she had seen in her periods. There was no bleeding since morning. Two days ago, we went for regular scheduled ultrasoud and the baby was fine with nuchal thickness of 0.9mm. Suddenly, today she is seeing bleeding. We consulted the doctor today morning and she asked her to take fertigyn 5000 IU and take bed rest for three days. Currently, she took that injection and taking rest. Please let me know if there is any chance of miscarriage?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
Bleeding in early pregnancy increases chances of miscarriage later if not taken care of early.
Most likely causes are documented as low levels of hcg hormone and progesteron.
Hcg supplement is given to your wife as Fertigyn injections. Ask her to have bed rest for week atleast.
If bleeding stops then no need to worry. But if bleeding or spotting continues then you have to continue with either hcg injections or progesteron supplements.

I would like to mention about drug called Doxinate tab. If your wife is not having naucea/vomiting then stop the medication after having word with your treating gynecologist.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: Bleeding during 13 weeks of pregnancy. Prescribed Fertigyn. Chance of miscarriage? 11 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Actually, the doctor was out today (today being sunday she was not in the clinic). We talked over phone and she "arbitrarily" asked my wife to take fertigyn 5000 IU. There was no particular reason for her to suggest that injection, all the reports till now were positive.
My wife observed some more traces of blood today during night. This worries me. She is taking bed rest ie., not doing any physical activity. I was wondering what is the meaning of bed rest. Best rest means that she should not do anything? She watched TV today for a while and did little physical activity like getting up from the bed and walking to the living room, etc. Is it advised not to get up from the bed after taking the fertigyn injection? My mother is getting worried that she has not heard of any bleeding from any one who delivered a healthy baby. Are there any tests that we should do going forward? What is the chance of a miscarriage? Do you want me to upload the ultrasound images?

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 9 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Bed rest is doing physical activities only when required like for eating/going to loo etc, otherwise complete rest.

As your wife is still have spotting, you consult same gynecologist today-morning. Weekly injections of Fertigyn 5000 IU helps to sustain pregnancy and decreases chances of miscarriage. Repeat ultrasound may be required after 1 week to know status of fetus.

You can upload images. Ask your wife strict bed rest.
I hope you find this information helpful.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.