Bleeding, broken lump on perineum. Does it require medical attention?

Hello- I am asking this question on behalf of my husband. For about a week he has felt a small lump on his perineum. I didn't see anything alarming when I looked in the area. This morning when he sat down to use the bathroom, that lump (cyst?) burst leaving blood in the toilet. I looked again and I saw where it was coming from. It sort of reminded me of a inflamed gland or a cyst. Should we be immediately alarmed ?
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 54 minutes later

Your husband was right, he most probably has hemorrhoids or sentinel pile with fissure. This is the age where we commonly notice them in men.

The reason why you did not notice that earlier was this lump comes out when he tries to stool and the pressure during stooling pushes this out of the anal opening. When he uses the tissue he feels it. Later it goes back into the position not appearing for others. When the doctor tries to visualize during per rectal examination or through anoscope it is visualized.

Now that the lump ( filled with blood and clot) is burst, it reduces in size. It also means that there may be some more growing. Hence he should get this examined by a GP / Surgeon.

The causes of fissures / hemorrhoids are:
1) Lack of fibre in the food
2) Too much of processed diet
3) No regular bowel movements
4) Dehydration or inadequate water intake. Hard stools cause pain and bleeding.

Since I explained the causes you should be knowing how to prevent them in future. Get a preliminary therapy now at the GP's office. Let me also clarify that hemorrhoids is not a part of annual physicals and not revealed on blood work.

Kindly clear your doubts before you close the discussion here.