Bleeding and pus from a healing wound. Need antibiotics?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
2 and a half weeks ago I had some dead bowel removed. I currently have a wound that I pack and clean twice a day. Lately the output has been more blood then pus. Should I take an antibiotic?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Excessive bleeding from a stoma wound may indicate XXXXXXX secondary haemorrhage(bleeding), infection or necrosis of the bowel.
Ideally the wound needs to be examined by the treating surgeon for assessing the healing, ruling out the above complications and confirming the diagnosis.He may then advise the apropriate treatment depending on the cause.
Sometimes just adequate cleaning and packing might decrease the bleeding but if signs of infection like pus, edema, excessive bleeding, tenderness or fever are present then antibiotics need to be started.
Lastly if bleeding persists then surgical exploration to find the source might be an option, if investigative like xrays and ultrasound are suggestive of XXXXXXX hemorrhage or necrosis.
So kindly consult your doctor to be on the safer side..
Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Bleeding and pus from a healing wound. Need antibiotics? 53 minutes later
I also have some pain on my right side. Would you say I should receive immediate care or could I wait until Monday?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for follow up .
You should receive immediate care to prevent any complications like anemia or hypotension due to excessive blood loss or further complications or necrosis of remnant bowel .
Waiting for more than 24 hours is not advisable in such case.
So to be safe than sorry its better to get evaluated early.
Hope I have answered your query.