Bleeding and cramps after hysteroscopy and curette. Have cold, sweats and fever. Should I go back to hospital?

Three days ago I had a hysteroscopy and curette due to heavy bleeding for the last 12 months. I am perimenopausal. After the op I was bleeding slightly and had some pain. The next day, I was only bleeding slightly. At lunchtime, I had bad cramps which I took some pain relieve for. I started to bleed slightly heavier. Yesterday morning I had bad cramps and by lunchtime was bleeding like a normal period. By last night I was bleeding like I was having a heavy period. Overnight it was the same. This morning it has slowed down somewhat, yet I have pain again. Also, to top it off I developed a cold on the night of the operation and have had sweats and fever, with last night being the worst. Should I be going back to the hospital today?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later

As you are having fever, you need to take a course of antibiotics and get your blood counts done to rule out infection. In addition you may also need progesterone in the form of norethisterone or medroxyprogesterone or tranexamic acid to control bleeding and iron supplements to prevent anemia.

You may get these prescribed at your gynecologist's office. I suggest you to visit your treating doctor. The aforementioned medications can be prescribed as needed.

With these measures, you should do well in the next few days.

I presume you had endometrial hyperplasia for which hysteroscopy and curettage was performed. A biopsy for histopathological studies would have been taken. If you have the biopsy report, I would like to know about them, kindly upload the biopsy report here.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Best wishes