Bleeding and brown spotting after pap smear

I had a pap smear yesterday and I bleed after the test and I am still spotting brown like you do at the end of a period. I called my doctor and she said to give it until Friday. Can this be a serious concern?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 40 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Need not worry , according to your history it seems that you had a minor trauma to either the cervical opening or distorted the left over endometrium in the uterine lining near to the cervical opening during the pap smear procedure.

Both are not serious and are self limiting .Do wait till Friday and consult your gynecologist if not stopped .

Do avoid vaginal tampons , use pads for the same this will avoid any further disturbance to the healing of the trauma sustained.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.