Bleeding after urinating, bloodstains in underwear. What does it mean?

Today after urinating I saw 3 or 4 blood drops come out of my penis and later on I checked my underwear and found a pee/blood drop on it.. what does this mean?
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
There is a possibility that you could be having a fairly significant inflammation of your urethra or prostate, where we find blood appearing at the end of urination, and some blood seeping out of the urinary passage without the knowledge of the patient.
While most of these conditions are treatable with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory agents, you should not take a risk of missing a more serious condition like a malignancy, and therefore you will need a few investigations like an ultrasound scan of your abdomen, a urine examination and culture for infections and usually a cysto-urethroscopy which is an endoscopic examination performed by a urologist.
Hope this has been of help.
Follow-up: Bleeding after urinating, bloodstains in underwear. What does it mean? 52 minutes later
I have been drinking a lot of caffeine in the past month do you think that has something to do with it? Also I'm a Muslim and have been fasting for the past month which has caused me to drink a lot of water before the sunrise everyday and therefore I have been constantly peeing about 3-5 times before going to bed, do you think that has something to do with it?
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 10 hours later
Hi Again,
I sincerely doubt if caffeine can ever cause blood to appear on its own. However higher intake of caffeine is not advisable at a time when your bladder or urethra is likely to be inflamed - it can cause more irritation, and increase urinary frequency.
However, the reduced fluid intake that you must be having through the day might be aiding the progress of inflammation. However, Ramadan will be most likely be over in the next couple of days for you, so the moment you finish your festivities, do increase your water intake through the day considerably. Make sure you distribute it through the day- a glass of water every hour at the very least. Do not forget to get the basic tests!
Hope I have been able to help you.
Happy Id!