Bleeding after sexual intercourse

Oncologist
Question
hi
i 44 years old.Nohealth issues. After having intercouse, I noticed ligth pink blood on toilet tissue hours after having sex. it only occured once. This has never occured before. I am concerned.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Bleeding after sex on occasion is not uncommon and if this is an isolated occurrence for you then there is probably nothing to worry about and the bleeding would be likely related to minor trauma to the cervix from the penis.

However if the bleeding persists or occurs again in the future you should certainly visit your doctor for a focused examination and consultation. If there is inflammation of the cervix or any abnormal growth in the cervix it can cause bleeding after sex. It would be more concerning in a case where a patient reports this happening again and again after sex. If you have annual pap smears done and never had an abnormal pap, I would be even less concerned about this.

For now - observe things and if bleeding continues or occurs again you should certainly see your physician.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga