Bleeding after sex. Normal?

Hi, I'm wondering if bleeding after sex is normal? I don't have sex every single day, but when I do, I bleed a little afterwards. I also wanted to ask you something else that I haven't ask anyone before. Not even my mom, she would've killed me! My first time was really PAINFUL, even my boyfriend was scared because there was so much blood coming out as if I were having a hemorrhage. I bled for a couple of days, but it stopped. I didn't experience any pain whatsoever afterwards. Was this heavy bleeding normal?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for your health concerns.

In terms of your initial bleeding experience after your first sexual encounter, it might have been a normal, expected consequence of the rupture of a small membrane called hymen that covers the vaginal canal partially in virgin females.

Nevertheless, continued bleeding or spotting after sex might not be normal, and might be cause by inflammation, irritation, a local growth, etc. My best advise will be to be seen by a Family Medicine physician or gynecologist who can visualize your vaginal canal and cervix with a speculum, determine if there is any lesion that explains the bleeding and if so make a diagnosis and provide specific treatment.

Hope this is useful, wish you the best health, blessings.

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN