Bleeding after sex. Is it normal or dangerous?

Occasionally I will bleed after having sex with my significant other. It doesn't happen everytime, but tends to be a lot when it does. I have no other discomfort or pain, just the bleeding. I am on the pill 3 month pill. Should I be worried? I get regular exams and they are all normal. I don't have health inssurance and am scared can you help please?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 39 minutes later

As you're premenopausal and if you have infrequent episodes of vaginal bleeding after sex — and if you've had normal results on routine Pap tests — you don't need to see your doctor to be evaluated. There is no reason for concern in such case.

In general:
Vaginal bleeding after intercourse is not normal. Sporadic incidence at times can be ignored, but at the same time having bleeding often is not normal.

There are many causes which can lead to this, the common ones are:

> Cervicitis-that is inflammation of cervix due to any cause
> Friction during sexual intercourse
>Inadequate lubrication or foreplay
>Vaginal dryness
>Some issues related to cervix like erosion,in infrequent cases cervical malignancy etc.
>Break through bleeding as you taking pills,but in such case the quantity is not much.
>Any local infection in that area.

If the bleeding is frequent than it is better that you see your doctor and get your self examined for it. Your doctor can definitely after examination can exclude the probable causes and may give treatment as per the cause identified.

I can appreciate your concern as you not having health insurance still if the bleeding is frequent it is always better to have your self examined.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to write again if you have some more queries, in case you do not have more queries please accept the answer.

Wishing you great health.