Bleeding after sex. HPT negative. Pap smear and pelvic exam normal. Noticed milky white discharge

Mar 2013
Hi, I had sex earlier this month on the 8th, we didn't use a condom but there was no ejaculations. However around the 13th I got some bleeding and lasted about 5 days along with some clear ewcm in between. however that time would be right in the middle of my cycle. My last menstrual date was on the 26th Feb and ended on the 4th. 13th march would be day 16 of my cycle. And i have 31-33 days in my cycle. I went for a blood pregnancy test on the 18th and it was negative. So I took another home pregnancy test 2 nights ago and yesterday morning, both were negative as well( I used Gold Digital First Response) Today would be day 35 in the cycle. Would stress or anything cause this problem since I lost my virginity recently before my last period. What are the chances of being pregnant? I didn't engage in sex after that cept once on the 9th with protection.
Also I went for a PAP smear on the 23rd, had a pelvic exam done and the doctor said it was good.
I also noticed a milky white discharge (more like a lotion like) for the past 2-3 days. It feels like I got my period and a wet feeling but it's white. Would you recommend taking another test?
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
I would be glad to assist you.

Since you have a 31 - 33 day cycle, you bled for five days around Day 16 of your cycle.
" Lost my virginity recently before my last period " - would that mean that you lost your virginity around the 8th of March, considering this odd bleeding as your ' period ' ?
If so, the bleeding COULD be a hymenal tear, however that rarely continues bleeding for five days like you described. Its a rare possibility.
I think there is another reason for the odd mid cycle bleeding that you had.
The main reasons could be stress, anxiety, emotional turbulence, as penetrative sex is recent for you.
Other than that, thyroid disorder should be ruled out.
Intake of any hormone containing medication, an emergency contraceptive pill etc could lead to bleeding of this sort.
Rarely, cervical growths or polyps bleed erratically like this.
Polycystic ovaries are one condition common in this age group, associated with delayed cycles, and irregular bleeding.
Following recent sexual activiting, resultant hormonal turbulence sometimes leads to an erratic flow once in a while, which is nothing to worry about.
As you have a delayed cycle, your ovulation would also be delayed, erratic and unpredictable. Hence, having sex on day 16 of the cycle DOES land you with a possibility of being pregnant.
You took the blood pregnancy test too early.
Also, the home pregnancy test was only a day or two after your expected period did not arrive.
Moreover, I would like to know if you just had a Pap Smear, or a complete XXXXXXX check up , which would rule out any other gynecological causes of an abnormal period.
If not, I would ask you to go for it.
Also, the discharge you describe sounds like a normal vaginal discharge, unless its associated with itching or a noticeable odour.
Since you are sexually active, and on occasions , without protection, getting yourself screened for STD s is always a prudent move.
Regarding your pregnancy possibilities you have two options -
1. Consult a gynecologist for a complete check up, screening for infections and simultaneously get yourself checked for pregnancy - by a transvaginal pelvic ultrasound.
2. If you cannot get to a doctor quite soon, then I would recommend waiting for the 13th to cross before you test again, assuming that was your last ' normal ' period, though it was erratic.

Meanwhile, I would urge you to have protected sex always in the future - not does it allay the anxieties of pregnancy, but would never have you at risk for any infections.

Take care XXXXXXX and feel free to ask any further questions.
Follow-up: Bleeding after sex. HPT negative. Pap smear and pelvic exam normal. Noticed milky white discharge 20 minutes later
I had sex on the 8th not the 13th which is day 16 of the cycle. The bleeding started on the 13th and lasted about 5 days. I tested for a blood pregnancy on the 18th, and 10 days after the 8th and it was negative. The first time I had sex was last week of February and my period came the next day. I took a home pregnancy test on the 30th night and 31st morning and both came out negative. Is it still too early for a hpt?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Technically speaking, HPT is positive on the day after you miss your period.
So taking it on cycle day 35 is good enough, not early.
However, it is good to give a few days leeway for it to be reliable, specially in women with delayed cycles.
If you cannot consult a gynecologist at the earliest, repeat the test a few days later, just to be sure.
Follow-up: Bleeding after sex. HPT negative. Pap smear and pelvic exam normal. Noticed milky white discharge 7 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. What brand of hpt would you recommend? I will try again in a few days. But how are the chances of being pregnant? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 49 minutes later
Regarding the brand of hpt, I hope this helps :
WWW.WWWW.WW Chances are pretty slim , XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Bleeding after sex. HPT negative. Pap smear and pelvic exam normal. Noticed milky white discharge 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for your replies and clarification.
My period just started this afternoon.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Am glad, XXXXXXX .
It was a pleasure interacting with you.
Take care in future, though.