Bleeding after merina insertion, taken depot. Can norethisterone be used?

Have had bleeding for 3 weeks since merina fitting can I take norethisterone to control it? Have been on depot for 6 months previous and bled continually ! If I do take norethisterone will it take longer to regulate itself ?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later

Vaginal bleeding after insertion of a Mirena coil is not usually due to the hormonal disturbances. It is more likely due to the irritation of the uterine cavity in reaction to the foreign body that has been inserted inside. This bleeding is not likely to be relieved with Norethisterone. It will take some time for the Mirena coil to adjust itself after which normally the bleeding stops.

Depot progesterone is associated with a side effect of irregular and continuous bleeding. In some cases the bleeding is more. You can wait for two weeks more for bleeding to subside. Till then you can take drugs like Tranexamic acid and Ethamsylate to reduce the bleeding after consulting with your Gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.