Bleeding after intercourse,spotting since then,no regular period,cramps,tired,pregnancy test negative

On Friday night my boyfriend and I had sex and I started to bleed a little after. I thought sure enough that my period had started as it usually does, but no go. Since Friday I have been spotting and today my period was supposed to start and nothing has happened.l I can feel cramping and I get a feeling it's starting and it has not. I feel drained and tired like I usually do when I get my period. I took a pregnancy test when I got home from work and it was not positive. What could this be?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 20 minutes later

You seem to be having some irregularities with your period, most likely because of hormonal fluctuations. The bleeding on Friday night and spotting therafter could have occurred because of that, particularly because you were close to the expected date of your period. The cramping and fatigue could be a sign that your expected period will start in next few days. Anxiety,recent sexual activity, hormonal fluctuations can cause such changes in regular cycle, hence you need not worry too much right now.

I suggest you to wait for the flow to get heavier. If not, repeat the urine pregnancy test again after a week.

Hope I have answered your query, I would be available for follow ups as well.