Bleeding after intercourse, no pain, no light headedness and heart rate fine.

Me and my girlfriend were having intercourse and she began to bleed very heavily for almost an hour now. She feels no pain and shes not light headed and her heart rate is fine, is this cause to worry?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 37 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Post-intercourse bleeding is not uncommon but is usually not very heavy. It is important to know when her period is expected to start. Bleeding can occur from trauma to the vagina or hymen if it is still intact causing bleeding. It can also occur in the area of the cervix from vigorous sex.

I recommend you continue to watch her closely. If blaring starts again or worsens she should be seen by a physician. Regardless she needs to have a pap smear within the next 12 months as well as a screening pelvic exam. I recommend you refrain from sex for the next 5 days to assure adequate healing.

Make sure she is adequately hydrated as well. If she gets very faint or livhtheaded she needs to be seen immediately.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my answer serves to be helpful and informative. Should you have additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga