Bleeding after finishing periods, unprotected sex. What could this sign be?

I finished my period 5 days ago but I am bleeding again today not heavy and it is a more dark red colour doesnt seem like a normal 1st day period. I have unprotected sex with my partner, and we had intercourse 2 evening's ago. My periods do fluctuate a little by coming on a few days early or late, but nothing this abnormal.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Please note that bleeding in between the periods cannot be considered as normal and always warrant investigation.

What I understand from your history is that you are probably not using a regular contraception. In that case this bleeding may be a sign of an unrecognized early pregnancy which is developing complications.

This bleeding may represent a lesion in your genital tract or a minor trauma that you have sustained during intercourse but went unnoticed.

Best advice for you is that you should take a pregnancy test, a trans-vaginal ultrasound scan & consult a gynecologist to make sure all is OK inside you. She may advise you the correct treatment then. This can only be done after clinical evaluation & the said investigations.

Hope I provided you with an acceptable response. I will be available for any follow up question or if you want to discuss your reports. Hope you get well soon.

Follow-up: Bleeding after finishing periods, unprotected sex. What could this sign be? 31 minutes later

No we have not used contraception for 14months, over the past 6 months i have taken 2 pregnancy tests due to being late which have had a very faint positive line but then I have come on 1 or 2 days later both times.

I have also had cysts on my ovaries a few times over the past year.

I personally dont believe the bleeding is from intercourse as this has happened to me before and this bleeding is different from that.

I have also got slight pain abdominal pain like a period.
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 9 hours later

Thanks for sending me your details.

In that case, I suggest you proceed with the two above mentioned investigations. I recommend a blood pregnancy test (serum Beta hCG) & a trans-vaginal ultrasound scan. So, that I can get an idea what is actually going on.

You can send me the reports at YYYY@YYYY . You also have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. I will then be in a better position to give you an explanation.

There are many conditions that can be diagnosed on clinical assessment alone, so, this advice should not keep you from visiting a gynaecologist if this is possible for you.

If any time the pain is sever, you have heavy bleeding or you feel weak you should rush to a hospital.
Wish you all the best. Take care.