Bleeding after bowel movement and abdominal pain. On codiene. Underlying cause?

I have been experiencing very scary symptoms I have seen my GP twice regarding this matter and feel they are putting it down to the Codiene I take for my pain control as I suffer from varies Pain conditions, I am bleeding now and again from behind and I am scared that it is leading to something serious its always after IU have a bowel motion and also I get a lot of pain, I am in unexplained abdonminal pain anyway, what could be going on they thought I may just be constipated
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX and thanks for the query
For a young lady of your age I see that you are on a lot of medications. I feel you should get yourself evaluated for the need of so many drugs.
A lot of your current medications like Floexitine, tramadol, phenergan and codeine can cause constipation. Straining in constipation can lead on to development of fissures which cause perianal pain and bleeding. This bleeding is in the form of fresh blood seperate from the stools.
Naproxen is a very powerful analgesic but has a high tendency to cause of peptic ulcer. Ulcers can cause abdominal pain, usually burning and gnawing and may be associated with sleep disturbance and black malenic stools.
Hence see a rheumatologist or a pain specialist and get yourself evaluated for the pain syndromes. I feel some of the drugs are duplicated and may be because of presciptions from multiple doctors. Hence let somebody reveiew the entire medications and optimise them
Follow-up: Bleeding after bowel movement and abdominal pain. On codiene. Underlying cause? 6 hours later
hi I'm no longer on tramadol I forgot to change that sorry im currently activitly looking for other meds with my gp but this morning it was fresh blood and im experining feeling very sick and quite a bit of pain around my belly button ive had my appendix out 5 yrs ago
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the update
Fresh blood in stools is usually from a perianal source. It can also occur with massive upper GI bleed. However in that case you tend to have a lot of postural symptoms and the bleed is brisk
Periumbilical pain is usually secondary to a small intestinal source and with a GI bleed one needs to consider Meckels diverticulitis and an ulcer
Hence kindly discuss the same with your GP and plan further