Bleeding after Implanon implantation. Given birth control pills. History of cysts in ovary and endometrium

Infertility Specialist
I got the implanon implant on November 18th By my next cycle in December I had very light flow black blood. In December I started a normal cycle that lasted 9 days and then went back to that black color blood here it is February and I haven't stopped bleeding. Before Implanon I was having 28 day cycles but, 16 days I was bleeding that is why my Doctor advised I get the implant. A little back ground... In XXXXXXX 2008 I had exploratory surgery where the Doctor found endometriosis and multiple ovarian cysts (not quite PCOS) he removed them and I got pregnant with my first Child right away. January 25 2009 I gave birth Via C section at 30 weeks gestation because of an abruption. I have had two more kids since then... 8/2010 and 6/2011 I spoke to my Doctors nurse and she gave me a pack of birth control pills to take on top of the implanon to balance my hormones I have been on them for a week and a half... Still bleeding!
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

The most common side effect of IMPLANON is a change in your menstrual periods. In studies, about 1 in 10 women stopped using IMPLANON because of bleeding problems.Therefore Expect your menstrual periods to be irregular and unpredictable throughout the time you are using IMPLANON. You may have more bleeding, less bleeding, or no bleeding. The time between periods may vary, and in between periods you may have spotting.

For most women, periods become fewer and lighter. After one year, 1 out of 3 women who use Implanon will stop having periods completely.

Hence I believe you will be alright soon with your cycles stopping off. yhe pack of birth control pills are not necessary. Any way, since you have startd them stop after completing the course. Additional dose of these pills again leads to withdrawal bleeding.

Instead you ask for prescripton for tablets containing tranexamic acid. This helps in stopping bleeding you have. Take 1 tablet every 8th hour for 5 days. Bleeding will stop.

I hope I answered queries. Please accept my answer if no more queries. Let me know if I have missed out on any concerns.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol