Bleeding. Report showing bulky uterus with thickened endometrium. Not enough blood in body. Is this life threatening?

Mar 2013
Hi My mother is 53 years old and she is having bleeding for past 20 days. After taking scan report , the report says "bulky uterus with thickened endometrium" . endometrium measures 24 mm. Anteverted measures 8.68 * 4.76 . She doesnt have blood in body . Doctors said to fill 1 unit blood . And they have given some test samples of uterus for further examinations. Is this a life threatening one? Is she going to be fine ?

Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
At 53 years, an endometrial thickness of 24 mm is definitely too much.
Also, I have gone through the report, and it says that there are cystic spaces in the endometrium.
The likelihood is of a condition called " cystic hyperplasia of endometrium "
It is not a cancer, and the risk of progression to cancer is less than 5 %.
If I had to manage such a patient, The next step would be to undergo a D and C, that is biopsy of the endometrium of the uterus.
For simple hyperplasia, she would then be given medical management ( generally progesterone tablets ) every month to regulate the cycles.
If she fails to respond to drugs, then hysterectomy is only a last resort .
Since your mother is anemic, she needs to have blood transfusion first to stabilize her before any other step.
Kindly go for endometrial biopsy and do get back with the reports.
Take care, and please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Bleeding. Report showing bulky uterus with thickened endometrium. Not enough blood in body. Is this life threatening? 13 minutes later
Thanks doctor for the reply. Is Uterus removal causes any side effects?

Is this curable.? Is this life threatening one?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Endometrial hyperplasia often responds to medical management alone.
As I said, surgery for removal of the uterus is only a last option.
The surgery is quite safe, and there are no major side effects, apart from the minor ones due to removal of the ovaries too , but they occur naturally after menopause also.
Please concentrate on getting a biopsy and returning her hemoglobin level to normal.