Ask a Urologist   »  

Bladder discomfort, taken allegra, did home urine test, non-hemolyzed blood seen. Side effect of allegra?

Hi. I have been having some bladder discomfort for the past two days. I had just started a new antihistimine a couple days ago (allegra). I noticed my bladder started feeling uncomfortable the next day after taking the allegra. I have the multistix urine test strips at home. I did one this morning and it showed trace amounts of non-hemolyzed blood on the test pad (not very many and they were very light spots). Could the allegra have caused this and the bladder discomfort?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

Allegra is antihistamines. Antihistamines are known to cause the voiding more difficult.

They cause suprapubic pain, poor flow, intermittency of urinary stream, incomplete evacuation and in some patients even retention of urine.

You should stop Allegra, if the symptoms are worsening. If you discomfort goes away after stopping the medicine, it suggests the relation between the two.

If you do not find relief after stopping the medication, kindly consult your Physician for detailed physical examination to rule out the other possibilities also.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.