Bladder catheterization done and started getting back pain. Are they related?

Jul 2016

Do you know whether bladder catheterization can induce back pain? My partner has catheterized himself for three weeks in preparation for having TURP surgery last week . Before the TURP procedure he experienced back pain, and after the TURP procedure continues to have back pain... He will have a scan next week, but in the meantime, have you heard whether several weeks of self-catheterization can induce referred pain in the back?
Since the pain is not impacted by anti-inflammatories, such as Aleve, he is naturally concerned that there may be a tumor or some other issue. His blood work before the TURP was all normal, he has had kidney test and C-RP, and all is normal. However, he is anxious that there may be some other more serious issue impacting his back pain which is in the lower right side... around the are of the kidney, hence the kidney functioning test. (Normal) He may also be reacting to the TURP procedure last week, having a catheter for a week, and the sudden intense pain of having it withdrawn. This is the second day after he had it withdrawn. Other than that, he is fine.. The procedure went well, he is now able to urinate with some regularity, etc.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 58 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted, I would like to state that it is most unlikely that his back pain was in any way related to catheterization.

Will you kindly provide me some more information to conclude and diagnose his problem?
1) What was his serum P.S.A levels before surgery?
2) Was his Bone Scan done before surgery and what was the finding?
3) Did he have backache before he was catheterized?
He has already undergone surgery of T.U.R.P. and his catheter has been removed. He is bound to get pain in urethra (Due to Urethritis) for couple of days as he had been catheterized for a long time.

Hope I have answered your query partly. Awaiting your response to clarify further.

Thanks with Regards.