Blackhead on neck, filled with puss. How to treat it?

Jun 2015

Hi, so I have this blackhead on my neck which is pus filled and I was wondering what I could treat it with?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Blackheads are plugs of dead skin cells, oil and debris that gets stuck in the pores of skin.
They are usually caused due to blockage of sebaceous gland duct due to accumulation of excess oils & debris produced in the skin.

Management involves:
1. Use of skin cleansers having keratolytic agents like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, etc
2. Topical Retinoids- but this should be used under the guidance of a Dermatologist
3. Exposure to Ultraviolet Therapy
4. Hormonal Therapy can also be used.

However, presence of pus indicate an ongoing infection/inflammation & needs to be treated with antibiotics.

So, it will be better to consult a Dermatologist & discuss the treatment plan.

One important thing, avoid squeezing the blackhead as it will lead to further spread of infection.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.